Stoke
Nub News Logo
Nub News

Disposable barbeque determined as cause of Sandyford fire

Local News by Liana Snape 19th Aug 2026  
Crews were first called to a grass area at the back of Wignall Road on Thursday 13 August (image via Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service)
Crews were first called to a grass area at the back of Wignall Road on Thursday 13 August (image via Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service)
advertisement

A fire in Sandyford, Stoke-on-Trent, last week was caused by a disposable barbeque, an investigation by Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service has determined.

The service has now confirmed that the fire on Thursday 13 August was "accidental" and caused by a disposable barbeque which ignited in Sandyford Park and "spread rapidly due to the wind speed and extremely dry vegetation".

Fire crews were first called to a grass area at the back of Wignall Road at about 4.15pm on Thursday 13 August when the fire was reported.

The fire then "quickly spread" from the fields to gardens and homes along Sandy Road and Maureen Avenue.

Alongside the fire service crews, Stoke-on-Trent City Council, Staffordshire Police and West Midlands Ambulance Service attended the scene to safely evacuate those affected and provide them with temporary accommodation.

The city council said that four households were provided with emergency accommodation, while other families affected by the fire were able to stay with friends and relatives nearby.

Four firefighters were taken to hospital after suffering smoke inhalation and the effects of heat exhaustion. The fire service said that as of yesterday (Tuesday 18 August), three had been discharged and one remained in hospital.

A spokesperson for Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Since the fire was extinguished, we have been working hard to carry out a fire investigation.

advertisement

"Today, we are able to confirm that we have identified the cause of the fire to be accidental, as a result of a disposable barbeque which ignited in Sandyford Park and began to spread rapidly due to the wind speed and extremely dry vegetation."

Station Manager Liam Hickey, who attended the scene, said: "This incident goes to show the devastation and impact that disposable barbeques can have on local communities.

"Although this incident took place before the temporary national ban was announced, it shows why it is so important that people adhere to these new rules and do everything possible to help protect people in Staffordshire from the risks of wildfires during a period of continued unpredicted demand.

"We are continuing to do everything we can to tackle these fires and carry out prevention activity in high risk areas, and we ask that people continue to take extra precautions to help ease the impact on local communities and emergency services who continue to work hard to keep people safe."

Staffordshire Police has arrested two people in connection with the incident and investigations are continuing.

Firefighters have identified the cause of the fire to be accidental, as a result of a disposable barbeque (image via Nub News)

Stoke-on-Trent City Council has said that it is continuing to support residents and oversee recovery work following the "major fire".

Following the emergency response phase led by Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, responsibility for coordinating recovery arrangements transferred to the council on Monday.

advertisement

A spokesperson for Stoke-on-Trent City Council said: "Extensive work has since been carried out to secure the site and protect residents and the wider public, with ongoing monitoring of the most severely damaged buildings."

Around 200 metres of security fencing has been installed around affected properties and neighbouring areas to restrict access and maintain public safety.

Building assurance officers are also continuing to assess the condition of the properties and advise on the safety measures required.

The city council's recovery activity includes providing support through Housing, Adult Social Care and Housing Benefits teams, arranging security measures and coordinating street cleansing, and waste removal in the affected area.

Councillor Jane Ashworth, leader of Stoke-on-Trent City Council, said: "This has been an extremely difficult and distressing incident for the residents affected.

"When I visited the scene on Friday, I spoke to residents whose homes and lives had been disrupted overnight. Hearing directly from those affected brought home the impact this fire has had on families and the wider community.

"Our priority from the outset has been keeping people safe and making sure residents have the support they need. I'd like to thank the emergency services, utility providers, community organisations and council staff who have worked tirelessly since Thursday evening.

"Our staff have been on site supporting Staffordshire Fire and Rescue and other frontline responders. We have continued to work closely with partners throughout the response, including VAST and other organisations from the voluntary and community sector.

advertisement

"There is still work to do and we will continue to support affected residents and work with our partners as the recovery progresses.

"Anyone who thinks fires and disposable BBQs are harmless should look at the damage caused here. Families have been displaced, homes have been affected and emergency services have had to commit substantial resources to keeping people safe."

The council is also supporting a public appeal established through VAST to help families and households affected by the fire.

A spokesperson for Stoke-on-Trent City Council added: "Recovery work will continue in partnership with emergency services and other organisations as monitoring and support arrangements remain in place."

For important advice on how you can minimise the risk of outdoor fires in your area, visit the Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service website here

Stoke-on-Trent City Council has also established a dedicated 24/7 helpline for residents affected by the incident who need advice, information or support. Residents can call 01782 234441 at any time.

Anyone who wishes to donate to support families and households affected can do so at: Sandyford Fire Recovery Fund - JustGiving

     

CHECK OUT OUR FREE NEWSLETTER!
5 TOP STORIES EVERY FRIDAY!
Click here to sign up: stoke newsletter

     

Please Support Us Stoke-on-Trent. Your City. Your News. Your Support Matters.

Local news is essential for our community — but it needs your support.
By becoming a monthly supporter, you’ll help us continue delivering reliable local stories and events.
Your support makes a real difference to Stoke.
Monthly supporters will enjoy:
Ad-free experience
advertisement

Share:


advertisement

Sign-up for our FREE newsletter...

We want to provide stoke with more and more clickbait-free news.

     

...or become a Supporter.
Stoke-on-Trent. Your City. Your News.

Local news is essential for our community — but it needs your support.
Your donation makes a real difference.
For monthly donators:
Ad-free experience