Stoke
Nub News Logo
Nub News

Stoke-on-Trent City Council says there has been 'unprecedented' consultation following Packmoor protest

Local News by Phil Corrigan - Local Democracy Reporter 28th Apr 2026   1
Packmoor residents fighting Stoke-on-Trent City Council's masterplan for the village staged a protest outside the Civic Centre in Stoke (image via Phil Corrigan - LDR)
Packmoor residents fighting Stoke-on-Trent City Council's masterplan for the village staged a protest outside the Civic Centre in Stoke (image via Phil Corrigan - LDR)
advertisement

A council insists there has been an 'unprecedented' amount of consultation on a village's controversial masterplan, following criticism from protesters.

Stoke-on-Trent City Council's masterplan for Packmoor could result in hundreds of homes being built in fields next to the village.

Residents opposed to the masterplan staged a protest outside the Civic Centre in Stoke on Friday, claiming they are being ignored and calling for more engagement by cabinet members.

In response, the city council has said there had already been extensive consultation, with further engagement planned, and that the proposals are being shaped by residents' views.

This has included the creation of a liaison group with meetings being held on an ongoing basis.

A spokesperson for the city council said: "There has been an unprecedented level of consultation on the Packmoor masterplan, with a wide range of development options set out and discussed openly.

"There have been six consultation events and drop‑in sessions to date, all of which have been supported by council officers and specialist advisers who were able to respond to both community concerns and technical questions.

"These events included online, in person and have been ongoing since December 2024.

advertisement

"In addition, the cabinet member directed the creation of a dedicated liaison group so that local residents can have their views heard outside of the formal consultation periods. This is in addition to, not instead of, the statutory consultation process.

"Feedback from residents continues to shape the proposals as they develop, and engagement with the community will remain ongoing."

The draft masterplan sets out five options for the council-owned land at Packmoor, four of which would involve the development of varying amounts of land, delivering between 760 and 1,224 homes.

A fifth option would involve 'doing nothing' – the first public consultation in 2024 found that most respondents were in favour of leaving the land as it is.

The current consultation on the Packmoor masterplan runs until Tuesday 5 May. Find the consultation survey here.

     

CHECK OUT OUR FREE NEWSLETTER!
5 TOP STORIES EVERY FRIDAY!
Click here to sign up: stoke newsletter

     

Please Support Us Stoke-on-Trent. Your City. Your News. Your Support Matters.

Local news is essential for our community — but it needs your support.
By becoming a monthly supporter, you’ll help us continue delivering reliable local stories and events.
Your support makes a real difference to Stoke.
Monthly supporters will enjoy:
Ad-free experience
advertisement

Share:

Comments (1)

Post comment

Stevonmarsh1967

As part of the Packmoor community liason group you say you have consulted with, you have had Two meetings in 18 months where nothing was shared or discussed . We have put together a comprehensive set of notes from infrastructure to effects on wildlife and their habitat. You didn't even want to to read it! "Darren put a PowerPoint together to abbreviate it"
Dave Williams has been asked to speak to the residents....
Cllr Sue Akkurt asked to speak to her ward.......NOTHING!
YOUR GOUNG THROUGH A PROCESS WITH OUT ENGAGING!


advertisement

Sign-up for our FREE newsletter...

We want to provide stoke with more and more clickbait-free news.

     

...or become a Supporter.
Stoke-on-Trent. Your City. Your News.

Local news is essential for our community — but it needs your support.
Your donation makes a real difference.
For monthly donators:
Ad-free experience