M6 northbound reopens following 24 hour closure after man dies in Staffordshire crash
By Nub News Reporter 18th Aug 2026
A section of the M6 northbound in North Staffordshire reopened this morning after a man died following a crash yesterday (17 August).
At 4.57am today (Tuesday 18 August), National Highways revealed that "emergency resurfacing" work to the M6 northbound between J15 and J16 had been completed.
The section of road had been closed for around 24 hours following the collision involving three lorries and a car at around 4.10am on Monday 17 August.
Staffordshire Police confirmed that the driver of the car died at the scene
A spokesperson for Staffordshire Police said: "The driver of the car, a man, sadly died at the scene.
"His next of kin are being supported by specialist officers."
The driver of one of the lorries, a man, was also taken to hospital. In a statement made yesterday, the police force said his injuries are "not thought to be life-threatening or life-changing at this time".
In a social media post, National Highways said: "Emergency resurfacing is now complete ahead of schedule.
"All lanes are open with no delays or congestion in the area."
Staffordshire Police has launched an appeal for anyone with CCTV or dashcam footage of the area at the time to contact them by calling 101, quoting incident 86 of 17 August, or using Live Chat on the website. Collision investigators can be contacted directly on [email protected]
To report anonymously, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
CHECK OUT OUR FREE NEWSLETTER!
5 TOP STORIES EVERY FRIDAY!
Click here to sign up: stoke newsletter
Share: